Simple reversible apron/ Delantal reversible simple

Last year I made all the Christmas gifts. Most of the women in the family got aprons (two had started vegetable gardens and one moved into her own place and has gotten into cooking), so it was the perfect excuse to make some cool stuff (my favorite was the harvest apron I designed for one of my sisters). This apron was for my mom who asked for something super simple and long, to cover her bottom half especially when watering. 

En la última navidad, decidí hacer todos los regalos para mi familia. A la mayoría de las mujeres les hice delantales (dos hicieron huertas en sus casa y una se fue a vivir sola y desarrolló un gusto por la cocina), así que fue la ocasión perfecta para probar cosas nuevas (el delantal para cosechar que diseñé para una de mis hermanas fue mi favorito). Este lo hice para mi madre quien pidió algo simple y largo, para tapar su ropa, especialmente al regar. 


Because of quarantine, I had to work with material I already had, so I chose two coordinating handprinted cotton fabrics. 

Debido a la cuarentena, tuve que trabajar con materiales que tenía a mano. Elegí dos algodones estampados a mano que coordinaban. 


The first thing I did was cut the waistband in each color. To make it long enough, I cut two strips in each color (6ft x 2in, approx), I then sewed the one of the short sides of each color together to make one long strip. 

Empecé por la pretina. Para que fuese lo suficientemente larga, corté dos tiras de cada color (180cm x 5cm aprox.). Luego, cosí uno de los lados cortos de cada color para crear una sola tira larga de cada uno. 


 

After that, I used a bias tape maker to shape each strip. I folded the tips inwards to give the ends a nicer finish and pressed each strip with an iron. Then I put both strips together and sewed the ends and one long side. I left the other open to fit the apron panel in it and sew it later. 

Después, usé la herramienta para hacer cinta al bies y darle forma a cada tira. Doblé los extremos hacia adentro para hacerles la terminación y los planché. Luego junté ambas tiras y cosí los extremos y uno de los lados largos. Dejé el otro abierto para poder insertar el panel del delantal y coser todo al final. 



I set the strips aside and aligned the main panels right-sides together. The panels measured 26in wide by 36in long (1in seam allowance). I sewed all around the edge but left a 4-inch opening to be able to turn the piece right side out. 

Hice las tiras a un lado y comencé el paño principal, alineando ambos pedazos con el anverso de la tela hacia adentro. Los paneles medían alrededor de 65cm de ancho x 90cm de largo (con 2cm aprox. de margen de costura). Cosí alrededor de todo el perímetro dejando un espacio de 10cm para poder darlo vuelta. 


Once the main panel was ready, I opened the waistband and placed the panel inside, aligning both centers and sewed along the side that had been left open. Then I top-stitched with a zigzag all around the waistband and the apron panel to make it more sturdy and interesting. I forgot to take a detail picture but it looks like the sketch below. 

Una vez que el panel principal estuvo listo, abrí la pretina e inserté el panel del delantal adentro, alineando los centros, y cosí el lado que había dejado abierto. Luego hice un pespunte con puntada zigzag a toda la pretina y el delantal para hacerlo más firme y darle interés visual. No saqué foto del detalle pero es similar a la imagen de abajo. 


At first, my mom had requested no pockets, but she waited until I was almost done with the project to change her mind, so I had to add the pockets at the last minute. To make them, I cut two rectangles (one in each color) 12in x 16in approx. I folded about 1/3in all around the pocket and towards the wrong side of the fabric and pressed with an iron. Then I sewed one of the long sides down on each pocket: this would become the top part (the opening) of the pocket. Once that was done, I made a couple of pleats on the bottom edge to give the pockets a little depth. 

En un comienzo, mi madre había pedido que el delantal no tuviese bolsillos, luego se arrepintió justo cuando estaba terminando el delantal, así que tuve que agregarlos al final. Para hacerlos, corté un pedazo de tela de cada color de 30cm de alto x 40 de largo aprox. Doblé 1cm hacia el revés de la tela por todo el perímetro de los bolsillos y los planché. Luego cosí uno de los lados largos en cada bolsillo: este lado se convertiría en la parte superior (la abertura) del bolsillo. Una vez hecho eso, hice un par de pinzas en el lado inferior para darle un poco de profundidad al bolsillo. 



The hardest part was aligning both pockets to each side of the apron. I didn't want to rip all the zigzag stitches (lesson learned: wait for the very end to do those details, just in case) and I had to sew both pockets at the same time because the apron was reversible so there was an added layer of difficulty to make sure I wouldn't miss either side when sewing. I calculated where the pocket should sit and pinned heavily and all around before sewing down and top stitching with zigzags. 

La parte más difícil fue alinear ambos bolsillos a cada lado del delantal. No quise deshacer los pespuntes (lección aprendida: es mejor esperar hasta el final para hacer ese tipo de detalles, por si acaso) y tuve que coser ambos bolsillos al mismo tiempo porque el delantal era reversible, entonces había un grado de dificultad un poco mayor para asegurarme de coser bien los bolsillos. Calculé dónde quería que quedaran y los fijé con hartos alfileres antes de coser y hacer el pespunte con zigzag. 


And that was it! It would've been a bit easier had I added the pockets earlier but other than that, it was a quick gift to make and it has served its purpose well. My mom loved it. ^_^

¡Y eso fue todo! Hubiese sido más fácil si hubiese agregado los bolsillos antes pero aparte de eso, fue un regalo rápido de hacer y muy útil. Mi madre quedó feliz. ^_^










 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oli Cardigan

Fancy Goldfish Amigurumi Pattern Review

My Easy Chunky Beanie!